- Subscriptions were sent out in March and most people have now paid. If you haven’t paid yet please go online and do this now. Bank account number is on the Wanaka squash club website under ‘membership’
- Not all key cards are working yet- still a work in progress, so leave the mat in the door to keep it open during the day. If you are last at the end of the evening the door should be closed.
- The summer ‘icebreaker’ club league has now finished and went well, good job to all involved
- Next round of club league will start next week on Monday 11th April and Tuesday 12th April. Last chance to get your name to Pip 027 433 1580 by end of today. If you’re too late for the draw you can still be a reserve.
- EFTPOS coming soon to club- we are trying to do away with cash so bring your plastic card for drinks.
- LETS NO LETS AND STROKES We all need to be referees for matches at times; Josh and Rod are going to have a session on how to make good decisions. Date still to be confirmed. Text Rod 021 240 8548 to grab a spot.
- Head demo night is Mon 18th April 5-6.30pm. (This overlaps a bit with the club league so come early if you want to try and/or buy). See attached poster.
- Coaching: A number of the more experienced players are happy to help with coaching through the season, contact Keith 0210 695 884 if you’d like to improve your game. Gil 021 929 590 will be organising some ladies coaching. Junior coaching after school will start Term 2, if your kids are interested contact Keith if you haven’t already done so.
- Top Club starts on Wed 20th April for about 5 weeks, so some of those Wednesdays will see the courts at Wanaka in use depending whether home or away games. Interclub starts after Top Club finishes, also on Wednesday evenings.
- Everyone please tidy up your cups, beer bottles etc before you leave otherwise the place gets messy very quickly!!
We're have open nights every Monday from 06:00pm during the month of February. All member and non-members welcome. They'll be rackets and someone to play against for anyone who wants a hit.
WANAKA SQUASH NEWSLETTER – October 12, 2015.
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
- October 17– Official opening of Cromwell Squash Club’s new court.
- Everyone is invited to come along and see the Cromwell Squash Club’s new renovation this Saturday at 2pm. The club has spent $350,000 on a third court, new lounge and changing rooms. There will be speeches, afternoon tea and some games.
- October 21 – Oldies night. There has been quite a bit of interest in this, and if successful will be run on a monthly basis. $5 entry. For any past members who want to come back and have a hit, and catch up with old team mates.
- November 22 – Working Bee Sunday 2:30-6:30pm, followed by a barbecue. This is your LAST CHANCE to put in your four hours and qualify for a rebate of $100 on next year’s membership.
CLUB CHAMPS – were held recently, with a strong turnout from members. Thanks to Jeff Limmer for organising it.
- Women's A 1) Hannah, 2) Gillian
- Women's B 1) Sharni 2) Heather
- Men's A 1) Dan 2) Matt
- Special Plate Jeff B; Plate Keith; Consolation Plate Lachie
- Men's B 1) Damian 2) Hamish
- Special Plate Simon; Consolation Plate John S
- Men's C 1) Eddie 2) Neal
- Special Plate Cody; Plate Jeff L; Consolation Plate; Nick
- Men's D 1) Garry 2) Nick
- Special Plate Andrew; Plate Cameron; Consolation Plate; Matt
- Junior 1) Martha 2) Bronson
- Most valuable contribution to club: Jeanette Toghill
- Most improved over the season: Male Cody Pickles Female Martha Toghill
CONGRATULATIONS ALSO to the winners of the club Winter League, which was Team 2, made up of Lachie Anderson, Neal Kaler, Dave Evans, Sara Secker and Wal Wood.
***The playgroup have emailed to say that the sliding door is often left unlocked by squashies.
** Please pay your IOU’s – these all need to be cleared up by the end of the season, as we are looking at getting an EFTPOS system by next year.
*LASTLY, please clean up after yourselves! Kids toys are being left everywhere, empty bottles and dishes.
Spring has sprung and while the squash ‘season’ might seem over, there are still plenty of events happening at the club over the next few months.
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
- Club Champs – With 46 entries in next week’s club champs, we are looking at a bigger tournament than the Central Otago Champs, recently hosted by Wanaka.
- Games kick off on Monday with the finals next Friday September 25. There will be trophies/cups for the Men’s champion, Women’s champion, most improved male and female and service to the club.
- Check the draw which is now up at the club. Please put a blue line through your name to indicate you know when you are playing, Ring your opponent to double check.
- Spring League– The next club league will start the week after the club champs. Draws will be sent out next week.
- Oldies Night – Scheduled for October 21 from 6pm onwards. This is a night for any former members to come and have a game, and a catch-up. $5 entry.
- A big CONGRATULATIONS to Kaz Armstrong who was part of the Cromwell ‘D’ Grade Super Champs team that got 2nd last week.
- Equally big commiserations to the Wanaka ‘Top Team’ that lost 9-1 against Otago at the finals of the Top Club Cableways Shield in Dunedin, on September 12. The committee agreed last week that perhaps next year we could have some more commitment from players. It’s a shame to put in all that effort to win the Central Otago Top Club, and then struggle to find anyone wanting to play in the Otago final.
- The Wanaka Squash club building sub-committee is looking into plans for the future, and a report will be made in the next month, followed by a consultation period.
****A list of jobs for the working bee in November is being drawn up. Any ideas let us know, and make sure to come along – hours put in = subsidised membership for 2016! ***
Page 9 of 11